Mesa City Center
2014 present, Mesa, Arizona, USA
Colwell Shelor+West 8+Weddle Gilmore's winning design for Mesa City Center combines the City and community’s wishes for a setting for its major events and festivals; a shady, green welcoming setting; and an iconic, world-class space. Conceived as a “town square with a twist,” the design makes City Center an events space that will be the City’s ‘green heart’ and catalyst for the next 100 years of urban growth in downtown Mesa.
The design features a central gathering space, the Events Plaza, which encompasses the centerpiece and icon of the project, a beautiful copper shade structure, called The Wind Dancer. The Mesa City Center design announce Mesa as a leading city for innovation, arts, business and community. It creates a destination that during different seasons, events, and times of day will feel like a lively downtown hub and an inviting public place.
- The City of Mesa, Arizona
- Weddle Gilmore, Colwell Shelor
- PFocus, HR&A, ETM Associates, Rider Levett Bucknall, Pentagram, Fluidity, schlaich bergermann and partner lp
- Honor Award in planning, ASLA Arizona Chapter 2015; Honor Award for Urban Design, AIA Arizona Design Awards 2015
- Adriaan Geuze, David Zielnicki, Jamie Maslyn Larson, Blair Guppy, Brandon Cappellari, Daniel Vasini, Foad Vahidi, Giulia Frittoli, Jennifer Birkeland, Joris Weijts, Juan Figueroa Calero, Karsten Buchholz, Lauren Micir, Vi Vu, William DiBernardo, Yu Shi