Frigate - The Petr and Pavel Ship
2015, St Petersburg, Russia
The children's playground in New Holland is one of the new main attractions of the island. Designed by West 8 in collaboration with Richter Spielgerate GmbH /AFA Alexander Frontov and Architects, this playground is meant for children of all ages.
This one-of-a-kind playground has been modeled after the hull of the frigate ship The Petr and Pavel, built at 80% of the original scale and measuring 26 meters long and 6 meters high. The original ship was built by Peter the Great himself in Holland. This ship has been outfitted in keeping with the traditions of Russia's master shipbuilders. The interior space is divided into several levels of play spaces, each in accordance with all the standard safety measures. Here the island's littlest visitors will find themselves as proper sailors amid slides, ropes, canons, telescopes and steering wheels – all elements that immerse them directly into the history of the island and its founder, Peter the Great.
Next to this playground is a small shelter designed to allow parents to comfortably keep an eye on their children as they play.
- New Holland: Cultural Urbanization project team (run by Millhouse LLC for the development of the project).
- Richter Spielgerate GmbH /AFA Alexander Frontov and Architects
- Ship design consultant: Poltava werf; Construction: Peura
- VII Russian National Award for Landscape Architecture in category Best Realised Object of Environmental Design
- Adriaan Geuze, Edzo Bindels, Juan Tur, Alvaro Novas Filgueira, Inna Tsoraeva, Juan Figueroa Calero, Marco Garcia