2014 present, St Petersburg, Russia
The island of New Holland is one of Saint Petersburg's most important historical monuments. Founded by Peter the Great in 1719 – the Island has been witness to every major milestone in the history of this Northern Capital.
The goal of the New Holland project is not only to restore this architectural landmark but to reinvent its role in the city. West 8's master plan and design guidelines for New Holland marry a new verdant landscape with the Island's unique architectural monuments. Creating an accessible open spaces that support new program, and showcase the island's architectural and historical complexes, in order to transform the site into a multi-functional public district that welcomes the citizens of Saint Petersburg, and acts as a public draw card for intellectual and creative forces from all over the world.
New Holland will become ‘a city within a city’. The Island will encompass a number of new programs and functions, combining office spaces, culture areas, exhibition spaces, restaurants and retail zones and an 'apart-hotel'. The outdoor spaces will offer a series of public areas and green spaces necessary for creating an ambient public realm. The Island will also host a year round event calendar, which will include an open air program of events and a rich variety of temporary installations.
For more information see also official website of: New Holland
See also in Design Element: Frigate - The Petr and Pavel Ship
- New Holland: Cultural Urbanization project team (run by Millhouse LLC for the development of the project).
- In collaboration with Ludi Architects (interior design and pavilions); PJC Light Studio (architectural lighting); Linda Bird Landscape design (Garden walk); MOX Landscape design (Herb garden), Sergey Bukin (pavilions); Richter Spielgerate (Frigate), Alexander Frontov and Architects (Frigate).
- Spectrum Group, Ooo Ni & Pi,´SPETSRESTAVRATSIYA´, Neskuchny Sad
- VII Russian National Award for Landscape Architecture in category Best Realised Object Design
- Adriaan Geuze, Edzo Bindels, Inna Tsoraeva, Juan Tur, Alvaro Novas Filgueira, Christian Gausepohl, Christian Dobrick, Eva Recio, Igor Saitov, Josh Stevenson, Juan Figueroa Calero, Kees Schoot, Lydia Franken, Marco van der Pluym, Mary Protsyk, Nazar Dutko, Perry Maas, Peter Rier